March 30, 2008

Stephenie Meyer

Who of you are a Twilight Series fan???? Come on admit it. I am having a hard time finding someone to talk to about it. I get the following responses from people when I recommend they read it

  • I don't think it is my type
  • I don't have time to read that big of a book-(thats ok you will finish it in record time I say)
  • Vampires? I don't like vampires
  • I will get to it
  • Why don't you tell me about it
  • You really like those books, don't you?

It just keeps going on and on and on. They make it sound like I am standing there drooling with the books in my hands trying to push it on them. I bring it up once and just leave it at that. They are missing out on something SO special. And how about all those people that just HAVE to read a book before they will see it's movie. WELL people they are turning this into a movie. It will be absolutely stunning. StephenieMeyer.com | Twilight Series | Twilight | Twilight the Movie

I am re-reading the 1st book Twilight. I am savoring it. Not rushing through, or at least trying not to. I need to get the 2nd and 3rd book, so I can just keep on reading......


When I first read the series, I put them on hold at the local library and read them that way. I regret not just buying them. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I am anxiously waiting for the 4th book Breaking Dawn . It should be released August 2nd.











Here are some reviews for the book Twilight

Amazon.com
"Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. 'Be very still,' he whispered, as if I wasn't already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat."
As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.
Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell


From Karen Rosenthal, Children's Department Manager for R.J. Julia Booksellers (printed in Publisher's Weekly's "Galley Talk"): "I'm not usually a vampire book reader, but I haven't read a book in a long time that had as much sexual tension and creepy terror throughout as Twilight by Stephenie Meyer [Little, Brown]. The main character is extremely compelling. The protagonist is so consumed with her crush on him that she blocks everything else, and the fact that he's a vampire adds a whole other level. It really is the perfect crossover book. It will appeal to kids who read fantasy and darker books, but also kids who like more realistic fiction like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and all those kids who read Gossip Girl... It's a riveting action book but thoughtful as well. Sometimes teen books can be plot-driven and the quality of the writing goes out the window, but this one has both."
Here you can read The first chapter of New Moon. and Click here to read the first chapter of Eclipse.

I would love to hear what you have to say!

7 comments:

supermom said...

hmmmm, vampires? i'm not so sure about that! LOL!

Nicole P said...

I have not read any of these yet, but I have heard they are fantastic!

Elizabeth said...

wow they do sound interesting. I'm a Anne Rice fan so I'm use to Vamps, ghost and witches. I'm a slightly weird girl. LOL :)

Christina Carnoy said...

I've read them all, and I can't wait for breaking dawn AND they are currently filming the movie version of "Twilight" at my high school in Portland, OR!!! Crazy daisies!!!

Anonymous said...

hi rachel! i haven't actually read the series, but a friend of mine is totally hooked. i've been stcuk on stepehn king of ryears, and barely have time to read those ones i have. amybe someday...

thx for oyur lovely comments, i was unsure of the haircut at first, but it's fun, jsut starting to miss my longer locks!

as promised, here is the recipe for the playdough i made:
stir together 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, 1 tsp cream of tartar & 1 packet of your fave kool aid flavour. add 1 cup boiling water & 3 tsp cooking oil. mix with spoon until flour mixture is moist. knead on floured surface *caution, it will be very hot, best for adult hands* voila! fun & smelly. kids often will try to eat it because it smells so good, but it tastes very salty! good luck!

Harley Dee said...

Ooh girl I love me some vampires! :) I was not aware of this series, but I feel a trip to the book store coming on :)

Anonymous said...

I've heard of these books, but haven't read any...YET! I do like vampire books, I read all the Ann Rice ones. We even made a trek to Ann Rices house when we were in New Orleans back in 2001. I might have to read a few of these.