
I want to introduce you to Joanna Campbell Slan. She is a mystery author that also scrapbooks. I will be doing a review of the book once I read it. So watch out for that in the near future. I seriously can't wait to start it.
She will be checking in to see if you have any questions for her. So please give her a warm welcome and here she is!!!!
This Is Much Better Than a Sucker, Don’t You Agree?
Today I stopped by one of my favorite local stores: Red Lead. It’s owned by two sisters who are proof that creativity runs in the genes. Right now, they’re gearing up for Halloween, and up front and center there was a really fun project, a Halloween tree. The sisters spray painted a tree limb black, put it in a clay pot painted orange, and hung paper objects of art from the branches. There were paper pieced pumpkins, black ravens and all sorts of fun “do-hickeys.” (That’s a highly technical term, isn’t it?) I signed up for the class called Glitterween so I can learn to make all those dangling “ornaments.” Check it out at http://www.redleadpaperworks.
com/servlet/the-Workshops-cln- I also bought a couple of their newest stamps, ones they’ve designed themselves. I got one with a black kitten sitting inside a jack-o-lantern, and another of a bird inside the outside of a house with HOME printed across the bottom. Too cool! And they are clear which I love. So easy to store and use.October-2008/Categories
Here’s the thing…Red Lead is sort of close to my dentist’s office. So every time I get my teeth cleaned, I treat myself afterwards with a stop at Red Lead. It’s sort of my grown-up version of a lollipop. Last spring when I started with a toothache, graduated to having crowns put on, and then finished with two root canals, one right after another, my Red Lead visits kept me from breaking down and sobbing a lot. (And I have a great dentist and a terrific root canal guy. I just don’t like having people mess with my teeth. Sorry!)
The title of my new book is Paper, Scissors, Death: A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-N-Craft Mystery. I bet “Kiki,” my alter ego, will pick up some cool ideas from my Glitterween class. Since I include scrapbooking tips in my books, and I’ve already written Book #2, I need to be thinking about fun ideas for Book #3, right?
See? That’s how I justify a trip to a favorite scrapbook store: “poor me” and research. How about you? What’s your justification? Or do you need one?
Joanna Campbell Slan is the author of Paper, Scissors, Death (ISBN 978-7387-1250-7) which features amateur sleuth and scrapbooking mom, Kiki Lowenstein. For more information go to www.joannaslan.com To read an excerpt www.youpublish.com/joannaslan
To order your copy—complete with a coupon for 50 Free Digital Prints—go to http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Scissors-Death-Lowenstein-Scrap-N-Craft/dp/0738712507/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220378229&sr=8-1pattimar
Joanna Campbell Slan
Paper, Scissors, Death
Fall 2008, Midnight Ink
www.joannacampbellslan.com
http://killerhobbies.blogspot.com

14 comments:
That tree sounds amazing! Now you have me wanting to make one!!! Hmmm...I just may!
I agree and I just might make one too...
Joanna,
Do you write up the whole book on your computer or do you do some by hand?
Hugs,
PattiM
(Pattie's passion)
I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!!!
Hi Joanna. Would love to see a picture of your Halloween tree, that does sound neat. I'm with you...I don't like going to the dentist, oh darn I have an appointment a week today. Yuck! LOL
Hey Joanna......what does your family think of your book?
Hello and welcome to the blog!
I need to find myself a treat like that for going to the dentist. It would encourage me to go more often.
I'm very excited about your book!
I love how you added tips in your book!!!
Do you set a certain time aside to just write your books?
The Halloween try sounds great!!!
Hi, Everyone!
I just got back to our hotel room! We (my husband and I) were at ScrapFest, the big convention that Archivers puts on in Mall of America. It was the official debut of my book--and we sold---stand back--nearly 200 copies! Yippee! So now I can answer your questions.
1. I write my books on computer. In fact, I've worn the letters off the keyboard three times! I do make notes to myself, create little charts, and plan by hand, tho. (Good question!)
2. My family thinks Paper, Scissors Death is terrific. My husband is my biggest fan, and supporter. But my son is so accustomed to me being a writer that he once said (in fourth grade), "Well, Mom, anybody can write a book!"
3. I don't really set aside a certain time for writing. It's my day job, so it's what I do everyday, even Saturdays, and often on Sundays. But lately I've been spending most of my time promoting. My son just left for college, so I've been working 12 and 14 hour days.
But...BREAKING NEWS...my publisher was so impressed by our sales today that I've been given the "go ahead" to work on Book #3. So...I'll divide my days differently, and spend my mornings writing and afternoons/evenings on promotion when I'm not on the road doing promotions.
Whew--and I'll send along a photo of my Glitterween tree when I get it made. Can't wait!
Thanks to all of you, and sorry I made you wait!
Thanks so much, Rachel, and all of you, say prayers for Houston and Galveston!
Sorry I'm posting so late...I just got home from the camper and got rained out...I've heard nothing but good things about your book...Planning on adding it to my Christmas List...Wish I could have gotten here sooner to chat...Good luck...
your book sounds great! thanks for stopping by Rachel's blog and sharing with us!
Thanks to you all!
We sold 300 copies of my book up at ScrapFest this weekend--and quite a few people bought it for holiday gifts! After all, it's really easy to mail!
I can't wait to read the book!
and Rachel, thanks for your comment!! I obsessed over that smudge for a bit and then just figured it was another learning experience (let the ink dry longer!!)
Trish,
You can sand off a smudge if the paper is colored all the way through. Use your finest gauge sandpaper or an emery (sp?) board and start very lightly.
Afterwards the surface will be more absorbent, but sometimes this is enough to remove a smudge.
Post a Comment