Pictures of this trip will have to posted later on. Ed is away in New Mexico on a job until mid month.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After we filled up our truck we are on our way again. We had a good drive until we turned off of I-70. Slow poke city I tell ya. Ed is not a patient driver. He likes to be the leader of the pack. We are working on this...I think...hopefully It took quite a bit of time to get to our destination because of this. By the time we are close to Rocky Mountain National Park it starts to pour. I mean POUR! And of course we are stuck behind a slow poke going 20 mph slower than the speed limit. We pull over to grab the tent and our sleeping bags into the truck. Didn't have anymore room for the luggage and the fire wood. :(
We get to our first choice of campsite and find it full. This means we have to travel to the other side of the park to get to the next one. Wouldn't have been so bad had we not been so late arriving and had there been no rain.
So, we get to the other campsite. Fingers are crossed that we can find a site and we did. YEAH! The rain starts to let up enough for us to put up the tent and get settled. A nice lady across the way lets us know that we had a female moose in the area. So off we went to check it out. She was feeding in the swamp area. Not bothered by any of us watching. It was really cool.
We had back to camp and start a fire and make dinner. It was fun and yummy! I will say that Ed can start a fire anywhere, when it is drizzling and with wet fire wood. I kinda felt sad for the others who were struggling.
We go to bed and slept pretty good. Ed and I both felt the havoc of sleeping on the ground. We are getting old!! So we wake up to a herd of Elk eating grass not to far away from our tent. I am in pure heaven. I absolutely loved waking up to them. We watched the clouds burn off of the mountains and the sun rise as we made breakfast and packed up camp to head out.
We had to go back to the other side of the park to get to the areas we wanted to see. We managed to go on a hike and of course we got poured on. The kids were champs through it all.
Ed and I dealt with some rude foreigners on the trail. They have no common sense it seems. Woman carrying toddler on her back is NOT a target to get pushed out of the way. All you have to do is say something like ~excuse me... I said some stuff that I know she heard- understand is something else. Yes, it was a fellow woman who did this. Geesh!
After the beautiful and rainy (ok, down pouring) hike we head back to the truck. Ed made the decision he was done with the rain and didn't want to camp in it again with the kids. So we called up Uncle James and Aunt Solitare. They graciously took us in for the evening. Thank goodness they didn't live far.
To be continued...
1 comment:
oh my, sounds like an adventure. The moose and elk, way cool! Sounds beautiful! Mother Nature, sometimes, she just doesn't cooperate! :)
Post a Comment