May 6, 2008

Some yummy food for ya

I have had this recipe for over 10 years. Maybe even over 15 years. It is so yummy!!! I would make it more often but my dear Eddie doesn't like onions. So it has been put to the side. Since I have been here with Susan and Clyde I have made it twice and when eating it I feel like I am on cloud 9.

They are open face tacos, topped with sharp cheddar cheese. A beer is a good thing to have to drink with them. MMMMMMmmmmmm


Chicken Tacos


Boil 3-4 chicken breast- then cut into bit size-put aside
You will need about 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, I usually use the water the chicken cooked in and just add some chicken broth granules to it

Chop up 1 white onion and a good size clove of garlic

Cook in olive oil until the onions are soft and clear

Add broth, but leave some aside to mix with 2 tlbs of constarch

add the mixture to onions and broth, stir till it thickens

Add salsa (I use Pace picantee sauce the chunky medium style) to the mixture till it turns a pink/red color - sometimes you need to add some more cornstarch after doing this. You don't want it to thick and sure don't' want it runny.

Add chicken and let simmer until you are done with tortillas

chop 5-6 roma tomatoes; 2-3 regular tomatoes you add these right before you serve


NOW onto the corn tortillas



you will need

1/2 cup of corn meal
1/4 tsp of salt
2 tlbs butter melted
1/2 cup of milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup corn starch

Use a small oiled skillet. You want to put a little bit into the pan and make them like you would with crepes. Scoop some, put in the oiled pan and swirl so it spreads out. They cook quickly. Flip over and cook through.

I usually start to make these while onions mixture is cooking and just keep going back and forth between the two.


You will need plenty of cheddar cheese that has been shredded.


How to plate it up

You start with a tortilla, put chicken mixture ontop and then the cheddar cheese. DIG in!!!

Let me know if you try this! I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

supermom said...

wow, it sounds so good! i will have to try this. sounds way better than the ones i made, they were ok, but not much flavor!